Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Appreciate today

My best friend, Toni, was in Tokyo, Japan when the earthquakes/tsunami occurred.  Can you imagine?  I can't at all!  I knew she was on her way to China, traveling with St. Joseph University MBA students.  But I did not realize she was also hitting Japan until the day of the tsunami.

The week before I was modeling a lesson for my students, making a connection for them about change in my life.  Change- how I used to talk to and see my best friend all of the time, now I rarely speak to her or see her.  She lives in State College, PA.  The distance really is an excuse.  My students looked at me in awe, asking, "You haven't talked to her since Christmas?!  You haven't seen her since...September?!"

Wow, I had thought to myself.  Yes to both.  It's pretty pathetic.  The phone makes things simple.  All it takes is to press some numbers on my cell.  And yes, we have occasionally played phone tag.  But eventually someone, or both, give up.

As cliche as it is, appreciate today.  You do not know who will be here tomorrow.

So glad Toni is safe.

Check out her return home video.

No comments:

Post a Comment